• Monitor their workplaces frequently to identify unsafe or unhealthful conditions
• Take prompt action to correct hazardous conditions
• If a serious hazard is detected take immediate interim action to safeguard employees
• Encourage employees to report unsafe or unhealthful conditions
• Seek suggestions from employees for improvement of workplace conditions
Investigate workplace accidents:
• Investigate workplace mishaps and take prompt corrective action necessary to ensure the safety and health of employees
• Institute actions to prevent recurrence of accidents
Ensure employees are adequately trained to perform the work safely:
• Prior to permitting employees to work with machine tools, chemicals, powered machinery, electrical systems, lasers and other such equipment, or enter confined spaces, operate forklifts, work in elevated locations or perform similar hazardous work, they must receive specialized training. Contact the Safety Office to obtain the requirements for such training
• Inform employees of the hazards associated with the work they are to perform prior to beginning the work
• Inform employees of the requirements to use any personal protective equipment, such as respirators, safety glasses, fall protection, head or foot protection, etc.
• Inform employees of the procedures to follow in the event of an emergency
• Inform employees of any unique hazards in the workplace and how to identify them
• Inform employees of how to report unsafe or unhealthful conditions
• Inform employees of actions to take in the event of a work-related injury
• Maintain records of safety training provided, such as lesson plans, rosters, list of audio-visual and other materials used
• Occupational Health and Safety Degree, Diploma or Certificate or CRSP would be an asset.
• National Construction Safety Officer Certificate.
• Minimum 5 year Health and Safety field experience
• Minimum 3 year of supervisory experience
• Proficient in Microsoft office applications
• The ability to demonstrate the application of risk assessment to company operations and activities.
• Good physical condition
• Ability to travel